Dinner Party Menu #2
Below are three recipes I cooked for a dinner party. See Dinner Party Philosophy for some thoughts on the design of the menu along with other menus I’ve designed and cooked in the past.
From Inspired Taste
Serves 4 as a side, 2 as a main
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (1 lemon)
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2-3 tbsp aquafaba (chickpea liquid)
- In a food processor, process lemon juice and tahini for 60s, scrape the sides, then process an additional 30s.
- Add garlic, olive oil, cumin, and a pinch of salt, and process an additional 60s.
- Add half of the drained chickpeas, process for 60s, then scrape the sides.
- Add the remaining chickpeas, process for an additional 60s.
- Add aquafaba as required and continue processing until smooth.
Tom Yum soup
12 small servings, 8 very large servings.
- 3.5L of chicken stock and water, at least 1/3 chicken stock, or a higher ratio for a richer broth.
- 8 stacks of lemongrass
- 6cm ginger (use galangal if available)
- 4-8 thai chilies
- 12 garlic cloves
- 480g oyster mushrooms
- 4 roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 onions, diced
- 4 tsp sugar
- 12 tbsp fish sauce
- 12 tbsp lime juice (6 limes)
- 1200g cooked chicken or shrimp
- cilantro to garnish
- Add lemongrass, ginger, chilis, and garlic to broth, and simmer at least 10 mins, before straining out.
- Add mushrooms, tomatoes, and onions, and simmer for about 3 mins.
- Stir in sugar and fish sauce, simmering for an additional 1-2 mins.
- Stir in lime juice and protein of choice, and serve garnished with cilantro.
Cream puffs with chocolate ganache
From Preppy Kitchen
- 180g whole milk
- 180g heavy cream
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 67g sugar
- 15g cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 tbsp cold butter
- Combine milk, cream, and vanilla in a heavy saucepan and bring to a boil, then immediately remove from the heat.
- Whisk dry ingredients together, then whisk in egg yolks.
- Temper with the milk + cream mixture slowly before fully mixing together.
- Cook the remaining mixture until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Cover and chill for at least 2 hrs.
- 120g water
- 1/2 stick butter
- 3/4 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 425 °F, and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Bring water, butter, sugar, and salt to boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- When the mixture boils, take the pan off the heat, and immediately add flour, stirring with a wooden spoon until fully incorporated.
- Once incorporated, cook an additional 60s, continuing to stir.
- Beat in a stand mixer for 2 mins.
- Slowly add eggs while beating.
- Pipe into cream puff shapes, then egg wash and bake 10 mins at 425 °F before dropping the temperature to 375 °F for an additional 15-20 mins.
Chocolate ganache and assembly
- 100g dark chocolate, cut into small pieces
- 100g heavy cream
- Bring the heavy cream to a simmer, then pour over the chocolate and cover.
- Wait 2-3 mins, then stir the cream and chocolate together until it reaches a smooth and even consistency.
- Cut the top off the cream puff, then pipe in a healthy filling of pastry cream before setting the top back on, and drizzling with a large tablespoon of chocolate ganache. Garnish with mint if desired.