Links of the Week 4/13
A few days ago I came across a really cool article from the NY Times tech team about building a custom text editor. I wanted to share it with a few friends, and thought that a list of interesting links & commentary might make a good blog post. It might also be a good way for me to just archive my own thoughts and internet snippets I find interesting. Here goes:
- Building a Text Editor for a Digital-First Newsroom: Article by the NY Times tech team about building a custom text editor for their writers and editors. It talks about a lot of cool technical challenges, and is a generally interesting article as someone who recently started a blog, and was recently thinking about editing vs display, what aspects of WYSIWYG I enjoyed and which ones I wish would go away.
- Gaze & Foot Placement When Walking Over Rough Terrain: r/dataisbeautiful post by a researcher that’s just a really cool visualization of exactly the title. Vision tracking is a pretty interesting proxy for human attention and processing. Here’s also the full article, which I haven’t read.
- 3D Printer Timelapse Software: Software for Octoprint which ensures photos are taken at specific extruder positions, which results in a cleaner/more magical video. Also, a direct link to the project. I’ll file this into future projects, if I ever get a 3d printer.
- DIY espressobin router: Another “future project” idea, this guy set up a router from scratch, and seems to get good performance for pretty cheap. The other bonus is that it’s not resistant to lots of the bugs and exploits normal routers are.
- Nightcore - How to Be a Heartbreaker: Rachel introduced me to Nightcore this week. That’s all.
I didn’t start saving links til yesterday, so I’ll hopefully have more next week? Thanks for reading!