Pickled red onions
Pickled red onions turn a gorgeous pink color in just a few hours, and are really easy to make. They make a good topping for a surprisingly large number of things - I’ve used them on fish tacos, burgers, and pizza.
- 1 large red onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp salt
- 10 whole peppercorns
- Peel and slice the red onion into thin strips.
- Blanch the onions in a pot of boiling water for no longer than a minute, then stop the cooking with an ice bath.
- Slightly smash the garlic and mix the remaining ingredients.
- Stuff the onions into a mason jar, and pour the liquid mixture over it. Swirl, and refrigerate for at least 6 hours, and keep up to a couple weeks.
This recipe I modified from Sam the Cooking Guy by adding garlic and increasing the peppercorns, some inspiration from Brad Leone from Bon Appetit, and my friend Fish.