Cream puffs with chocolate ganache
From Preppy Kitchen
- 180g whole milk
- 180g heavy cream
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 67g sugar
- 15g cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 tbsp cold butter
- Combine milk, cream, and vanilla in a heavy saucepan and bring to a boil, then immediately remove from the heat.
- Whisk dry ingredients together, then whisk in egg yolks.
- Temper with the milk + cream mixture slowly before fully mixing together.
- Cook the remaining mixture until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Cover and chill for at least 2 hrs.
- 120g water
- 1/2 stick butter
- 3/4 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 425 °F, and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Bring water, butter, sugar, and salt to boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- When the mixture boils, take the pan off the heat, and immediately add flour, stirring with a wooden spoon until fully incorporated.
- Once incorporated, cook an additional 60s, continuing to stir.
- Beat in a stand mixer for 2 mins.
- Slowly add eggs while beating.
- Pipe into cream puff shapes, then egg wash and bake 10 mins at 425 °F before dropping the temperature to 375 °F for an additional 15-20 mins.
Chocolate ganache and assembly
- 100g dark chocolate, cut into small pieces
- 100g heavy cream
- Bring the heavy cream to a simmer, then pour over the chocolate and cover.
- Wait 2-3 mins, then stir the cream and chocolate together until it reaches a smooth and even consistency.
- Cut the top off the cream puff, then pipe in a healthy filling of pastry cream before setting the top back on, and drizzling with a large tablespoon of chocolate ganache. Garnish with mint if desired.