Apple Pound Cake
From Joanne Chang
- 1 stick butter
- 2 tsp vanilla paste
- 3 tbsp heavy cream
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup (150g) sugar
- 1 1/4 cup (150g) sifted cake flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 apple, peeled and thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 °F and line a 9”x5” loaf pan or 8” round cake pan with parchment paper.
- Melt butter in a pan, then add vanilla and whisk in cream.
- Whip eggs and sugar for 4-5 mins at medium speed.
- Sift together dry ingredients, then fold into the egg and sugar mixture.
- Slowly stir this mixture into the cooled butter mix.
- Pour into the selected pan, then shingle apple slices on top, and bake for 50-60 mins.
Joanne Chang (founder of Flour, one of my favorite Boston-area restaurants!) ran an Instagram series in the first Fall of the pandemic to promote baking at home (and sold bake kits for it…). She originally did this one in a rectangular loaf pan, but I decided that a full round pan with nicely-shingled apple slices wound be fun to make and look really good, plus I had some apples in October when I made this originall (10/6/20).