From J Kenji Lopez-Alt
4 small servings.
- 1 cup dashi
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sake
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 large onion, slivered
- 12 oz chicken thighs, thinly sliced
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 3-4 eggs, scrambled
- 2 cups rice
- Mix together the dashi, soy sauce, sake, and sugar, and simmer the onion in the mixture for 5 mins.
- Add chicken, and continue simmering strongly for an additional 5-7 mins.
- Stir in scallions and season to taste, reducing to a bare simmer.
- Drizzle in the eggs so that they remain generally clumped together, and simmer an additional 1-3 mins.
- Serve hot over rice, and season with furikake if desired.
I discovered this recipe during the pandemic (first cooked on 5/19/20) when Kenji started posting POV cooking videos regularly. It seemed tasty and I generally keep all of these ingredients on hand, so it became something we cook every couple of months.