From Bread Illustrated
Makes 1 loaf
- 2 cups + 3 tbsp bread flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup cold milk
- 1 large egg + 1 large egg for egg wash
- 1 instant yeast packet
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp softened unsalted butter + 1 tbsp for greasing the pan.
- Whisk 3 tbsp flour into the water.
- Microwave, whisking every 10s, until pudding-like, 20-60s in total.
- Whisk milk, egg, and flour paste in a stand mixer until smooth.
- Add yeast and remaining flour and knead with a dough hook until no dry flour remains (2 mins).
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 15 mins.
- Add sugar and salt and knead on low speed for 5 mins.
- Add softened butter 1 tbsp at a time into the running mixer over the course of 2 additional minutes of kneading.
- Increase speed to medium and knead an additional 5 mins.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let dough rise until doubled in size, 1-1.5 hrs.
- Grease a loaf pan with the last bit of butter.
- Press and stretch dough into a 27” x 3” rectangle, then cut into 3 9” strips.
- Roll each strip into cylinders, pulling very taught while rolling.
- Cover and let rise until loaf is a 1/2” above the lip of the pan, about 30-60 mins.
- Beat the egg and use it as an egg wash over the exposed surface.
- Bake at 375 °F for 30-35 mins until center of loaf registers 205-210 °F and exterior is golden and shiny.
- Let the loaf cool in the pan for 15 mins, then brush with melted butter and transfer to a wire rack, cooling for at least 3 hrs before slicing.